Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I went out to my car, started the engine and checked my watch. It was one o'clock and I was starved. I drove home, threw the UPS uniform over a chair and changed into jeans and a light sweater. Then I stopped at Eddie's for a smoked turkey on rye and something to wash it down with and went on to the office.

I was unlocking the door of my place, trying to juggle the sandwich, a purse and a can of Bud when Bernie, my landlord, poked his head out of his realty office next door and gave me a big smile. Bernie only smiles when he's raising the rent or throwing someone out. My rent was two month’s late.

"Maggie. Got a minute?" he asked, stepping out into the hall?

Bernie is short, heavy-set, with a mop of black curly hair turning gray, a moustache, and black-rimmed glasses. He was wearing one of his custom-rumpled suits.

"Ah... actually, I'm pretty busy right now, Bernie," I said quickly.

There's no way I wanted him to see the mess Raccuia made last night.

But Bernie was on a quest.

"Here. Let me help you."

He grabbed my keys from my hand, bent over and unlocked the door for me.

"After you," he said gallantly, standing aside and bowing.

I walked into the reception room and dumped my stuff on a secretary's desk that had never been officially christened. He began to walking toward the door leading to my private office and I jumped in his path holding up my arms.

"I've got a client in there, Bernie!" I said quickly. "And I had to promise total anonymity to get him in here. He's testifying against some truck hijackers. I need this case Bernie and if anyone finds out his identity, he's walking and my case is blown."

I grabbed the keys from his hand and steered him back to the front door.

"So, thanks a lot and I'll stop over your office when I'm done."

"I heard about what happened last night," Bernie said.

"What happened last night?" I stammered.

"You were the talk of the "Heidy-Ho Diner" at breakfast.”

The cops get their coffee there every morning. He nodded toward my office.
"Mind if I take a look? I do own the building."

"Yeah," I said, defeated. "Well then c'mon in."

I picked up my lunch and went inside. Bernie followed me and stared at the blood stain on the rug for several minutes before clucking his tongue. Then he contemplated Raccuia's bullet holes in the wall and made some more sounds. While Bernie did some mental calculations, I tore open the paper bag and held up my sandwich.

"You mind if I eat? I'm starving."

"No. Going to cost a fortune to clean this up."

"I already got the money for it. Plus the rent I owe you," I said, my mouth full.

"Might even have to replace the whole rug. I've got a friend who does carpets. Says that blood is one of worst stains to get out."

"That I don't have enough for," I shouted.

"Then maybe we can work something out," he said, turning toward me and smiling again. "Mind if I have a seat?"

I motioned toward a chair. I popped open the beer and held it up.

"You want any? I got glasses. They're clean."

Bernie shook his head.

"No thanks," he said.

I continued to eat while he talked.

"My grandmother lives over in New Seldon," he began. "Nice old lady. Been there since before World War II. The back of her property borders on Gramcey Park. It's a county park. There's a group of kids that have been hanging out there recently to do their drinking and they've been giving her some shit."

"How come?" I asked.

"A couple of weeks ago they started throwing their beer cans into her backyard. She asked them to stop. Hell, there's a couple of trashcans right there in the woods they could use. But you know kids. They kept right on tossing them over so she called the cops. They came and rousted them. Pissed the kids off and now my grandmother's getting obscene phone calls, they're still throwing the cans and someone even tore up her backyard with a dirt bike... she's an old lady, for Christ's sake!"

"She tried calling the cops again?" I asked.

"Yea, but that's like pissing in the wind."

"So what do you want me to do?"

"I don't know! Whatever you detectives do to keep the scuzzballs away from decent law-abiding citizens. Blackmail them! Shoot them! I don't care."

The old Bernie was resurfacing.

"Just get them to stop bothering my grandmother. And if you help her, I'll take care of your rug."

He pulled a slip of paper out of his pocket and tossed it on my desk.

"Here's her address." Then he turned and walked out.

I finished my lunch and called Barbara, the girl who's responsible for making me beautiful when the need arises.

"You got an hour and a half for me this afternoon?" I asked.

"Longtime no see, stranger," she said. "What do you need an hour and half
for, girl? You're usually a fifteen minute cut."

"I have to look irresistible tonight. And I need my nails done too."

"Let me check...how about five?"

"That's great. See you then."

"Where you going that you need so much sprucing up?"

"A private party."

"You're moving up girl," Barbara said.

I looked at my watch. A five o'clock appointment with Barbara gave me two hours to check out Bernie's grandmother. I put the answering machine on and locked up the office.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

='Brand New News From The Timber Industry!!'=

========Latest Profile==========
Energy & Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY)
Current Price $0.15
================================

Recognize this undiscovered gem which is poised to jump!!

Please read the following Announcement in its Entierty and
Consider the Possibilities
Watch this One to Trade!

Because, EGTY has secured the global rights to market
genetically enhanced fast growing, hard-wood trees!

EGTY trading volume is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement.
The value of this Stock appears poised for growth! This one will not
remain on the ground floor for long.

Keep Reading!!!!

===============
"BREAKING NEWS"
===============

-Energy and Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY) owns a global license to market
the genetically enhanced Global Cedar growth trees, with plans to
REVOLUTIONIZE the forest-timber industry.

These newly enhanced Global Cedar trees require only 9-12 years of growth before they can
be harvested for lumber, whereas worldwide growth time for lumber is 30-50 years.

Other than growing at an astonishing rate, the Global Cedar has a number of other benefits.
Its natural elements make it resistant to termites, and the lack of oils and sap found in the wood
make it resistant to forest fire, ensuring higher returns on investments.

the wood is very lightweight and strong, lighter than Poplar and over twice
as strong as Balsa, which makes it great for construction. It also has
the unique ability to regrow itself from the stump, minimizing the land and
time to replant and develop new root systems.

Based on current resources and agreements, EGTY projects revenues of $140 Million
with an approximate profit margin of 40% for each 9-year cycle. With anticipated
growth, EGTY is expected to challenge Deltic Timber Corp. during its initial 9-year cycle.

Deltic Timber Corp. currently trades at over $38.00 a share with about $153 Million in revenues.
As the reputation and demand for the Global Cedar tree continues to grow around the world
EGTY believes additional multi-million dollar agreements will be forthcoming. The Global Cedar nursery has produced
about 100,000 infant plants and is developing a production growth target of 250,000 infant plants per month.

Energy and Asset Technology is currently in negotiations with land and business owners in New Zealand,
Greece and Malaysia regarding the purchase of their popular and profitable fast growing infant tree plants.
Inquiries from the governments of Brazil and Ecuador are also being evaluated.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little
known Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens.
This stock will not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right
Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!


GO EGTY!


All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such.
We may own, take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any statements that express or involve discussions with respect
to predictions, goals, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, objectives, assumptions or future events or performance are
not statements of historical fact and may be "forward, looking
statements." forward, looking statements are based on expectations, estimates
and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results
or events to differ materially from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid $3,000 from third party (IR Marketing).
Forward,|ooking statements in this action may be identified through the use of words such as: "projects", "foresee", "expects". in compliance with Se'ction 17. {b), we disclose the holding of EGTY shares prior to the publication of this report. Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shares may be sold at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company. Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in our statements and opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward,looking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations involving various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to
differ materially from those set forth in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to buy or sell stocks, this text is
or informational purpose only and you should seek professional advice from registered financial advisor before you do anything related with buying or selling stocks, penny stocks are very high risk and you can lose your entire investment.

1:36 PM  
Blogger tandynelson72558998 said...

Get your High School Diploma, Or any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

High School Diploma "BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

9:02 PM  
Blogger stwf9jydu71gxki said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

8:03 AM  
Blogger kpf4jvu03apio said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

7:25 AM  
Blogger 4h77s said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home